30 -40 tomatoes
1 cup lemon juice
- Wash all jars, lids etc in the dishwasher.
- Always wear gloves while preparing salsa! (especially if you wear contact lenses)
- Prepare tomatoes by soaking tomatoes in boiling water for 2-3 minutes to split and loosen skins. Peel and chop all tomatoes, drain excess juices off in a strainer or colander before adding to extra large bowl. (I half or quarter the tomatoes, then process briefly in a food processor before draining off juices, I like the tomatoes kind of chunky).
- Dice or cube all onions and peppers into the same bowl. Add chopped cilantro. (I do all the onions, peppers and cilantro in a food processor - I keep them kind of chunky also).
- Once all the veggies are in the bowl, stir in the lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- 6. Taste to see if it is as hot as you would like it - if not add 1-2 more hot peppers tasting after each addition. Keep in mind as it sits for a while it will get a little bit hotter.
- 7. Fill jars leaving about 3/4 inch at the top. Wipe off tops of the jars before putting lids on. Screw lids tight then turn back about 1/4 turn.
- 8. Process in steam canner (not pressure cooker / steamer) or boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- 9. Cool jars.
- 10. Before storing, test each jar to be sure it has sealed by pressing down on lid, it should not move.