Sunday, August 30, 2009

Book Review Eyes Like Mine by Julie Wright

I have been reading a lot lately. I love to read, but at this time of year, I am usually working on Christmas projects. This year, I still can't bend my left index finger enough to be able to crochet, so I am indulging myself with reading books by my favorite authors.
I first read Julie Wright's books a few years ago. He first book "To Catch A Falling Star" intrigued me because it was set in Boston, and that's close to home. It turned out it was set in Northborough, MA (My home town) and Algonquin Regional High School (My school). I devoured every word and went looking for more.
Its been a long time since Julie had a new book published, so when I was in Salt Lake City in July and saw this one I had to have it.
I loved this story, I had a hard time putting it down, so I could sleep. I love Family History, and I was intrigued by the storyline involving an ancestor coming forward in time. (If only I could get my ancestors to come for a visit).

A story of family that transcends time William has been missing for two days. And even though the rest of the wagon company has decided they must continue on to Zion, Constance Brown refuses to go any further until she finds her husband. All she can think about is the last time she saw him-he lovingly touched her face and then sang their baby girl to sleep. Will that memory be all Constance has to hold on to?
In a future time and place, Liz King is a teenager struggling with her identity in the modern world. The embarrassment she feels because of her parents' divorce and her family's new found financial problems turns to bitterness.

Through an inexplicable twist of fate, Constance and Liz are brought face to face. Liz recognizes Constance's name from her mother's endless lectures on their family history, and she also recognizes her eyes-they are exactly like her own.

Were these distant relatives brought together in order to help each other? Will Constance be able to return to her own life and find William, and will Liz be able to keep from telling Constance how her story ends?

In this irresistible novel filled with gripping adventure and heartfelt emotion, two young women from drastically different times and settings learn that the challenges life holds for them are not so different after all.
I recommend this book, to anyone, from teens to adults.
It is available at Seagull Book, Deseret Book & Amazon.com, or check your library for inter library loan.

No comments: