Friday, October 3, 2008


I chose Rebecca Turner this week because of the amazing lady she was. And all of the trials she went through from childhood and throughout her life.

Rebecca Willard Turner was born July 18, 1834, in South Saint George, Knox County, Maine, a daughter of Nathaniel Hupper Turner and Elizabeth Barter. She was the middle one of three children who grew to maturity. An older brother, Henry Barter Turner, was born December 10, 1832 in South Saint George. He died in Winter Quarters around 1848. A younger brother, David Seavy Turner, born July 20, 1836, in Herin Duck, Hancock County, Maine, lived to old age. Three other children born to the Turners died in early childhood.About the year 1842, Mormon missionaries visited Maine where they converted Nathaniel and Elizabeth Turner to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Almost immediately, the family decided to gather with the Saints in Nauvoo. They sold their modest home in South Saint George and amid the protest of devoted family members, brothers, and sisters, left Maine for the far west to be with the people of Zion. Their funds were meager and the trip across country was difficult, but they managed to reach Nauvoo.The Turners were proud people and fiercely independent, characteristics that they passed on to their children. They were also a very close-knit family, each concerned about the welfare of the other members. In Zion they soon ran into difficulty. Their independent spirit kept them from asking for help. They tried desperately to maintain themselves; but they were shipbuilding folk, fishermen from the coast of Maine, not farmers. The summer had been spent in traveling and winter found them in destitute circumstances. By the end of January 1843, the mother of the family sickened and on the 22nd day of the month she died of a disease that the Saints referred to as "Black Tongue"-- no doubt a deficiency disease.The following February 6, 1843, Nathaniel, the father , died of the same illness. Very likely the parents had deprived themselves of necessary nutrients in order to give to the children, for neither of the latter seems to have been affected.Word was sent back to the family in Maine. Nathaniel Turner was an only child, so it remained for the family of Elizabeth Barter Turner to decide what to do with the orphan children. Accordingly, Elizabeth's brother, Samuel Barter, started for Nauvoo, Illinois, to bring the orphaned children home to Maine. but Samuel died before he was able to reach the Mormon city. Two years later another brother, William Barter, started for Nauvoo, but he also died en route on March 5, 1845. It is thought that he died in Buffalo, New York, but that is not certain. In their determination to get the children, Elizabeth's youngest brother, Cyrus Barter, left his wife and family and embarked on the journey to Nauvoo. However, he died April 13, 1845, without reaching the children. Fate had decreed the children should remain with the people who were members of their parent's faith, to be reared in the light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.The children were placed in various homes. Rebecca, who was nine years of age by this time, became a member of the family of Benjamin Covey and his wife Almira Mack Covey. Almira was a daughter of Steven Mack, niece of the prophet Joseph Smith's mother. David Seavy Turner, a child of seven, went to live with a family by the name of Barlow. It was a bit different with Henry. Born about 1832 in South Saint George, Maine. Henry had , in childhood, been stricken with infantile paralysis and was a cripple, his right side never having developed properly. By this time he was 12 or 13 years of age and considered able to care for himself. He worked around from family to family wherever he could find something to do, sustaining himself and always visiting the other children and keeping them cheered and conscious of their family unity.When the time came, in 1846, that the Saints had to leave Nauvoo, the children were evacuated with their respective families, Henry probably traveling with his sister and the Coveys. The years in Nauvoo had been exciting-- some of them good, but the last of them sad. Rebecca remembered the intimacy she enjoyed with the Coveys and the close relationship they had with the Prohet Joseph.She was in his presence often and recalled the magnetism of his personally and radiance of his being. She saw the bodies of Joseph and Hyrum as they were returned to Nauvoo after the assassination. She was in the congregation when Sidney Rigdon made his impassioned speech setting forth his claim to the presidency. She saw Brigham Young come into the meeting and listen patiently until Sidney was through speaking. When he stepped forward to speak, she saw not Brigham Young at the pulpit but the Prophet Joseph. She heard Joseph's voice speaking to the people for few brief moments and testified often of the manifestation she witnessed that day.In the spring of 1848, the Covey and Barlow families joined the company of Lorenzo Snow that was preparing to cross the plains. Rebecca, a winsome lass of 14, knew that she would help to drive the family cattle on the long trek. David, a robust child, could negotiate the crossing, walking all the way; but the decision was made that Henry, the crippled boy, would wait until a later train when there would be room for him to ride. The trip from Nauvoo to Winter Quarters had pointed out his weakness and inability to stand a strenuous journey.The children hated to be separated, but the day of parting came. Henry went out with them the first day and camped that night. The next morning very early, the three children stood alone on the edge of the prairie and wept their farewells. Henry wanted so much to go with them but expressed joy that the two children were privileged to go with the body of the Saints. Henry stood on the campsite watching and weeping for his family until they disappeared over the rolling hills. Several times Rebecca came to high ground and looked back over the trail to see him limping along until his form became a mere speck in the distance. That picture never dimmed in her memory. The consuming passion of her life became the desire to work or do something that would enable Henry to cross the plains. About two days out on the trail, Rebecca met a young man two years older than she. He, too, was driving cattle for another party so they might let his widowed mother ride to Utah. She and this young man became very good friends. After they arrived in the Great Salt Lake Valley, Rebecca spent much of her time with him and his mother. The mother was always glad to see Rebecca and did such nice little motherly things for her. They were very near and dear to each other; but when the chilling blasts of the second winter in Salt Lake swept down upon them, this mother became ill and succumbed to the rigors of pioneer life.After she was laid to rest, the son said, "Rebecca, we are too young to marry and anyway I am not in a position to take that step. I have no job and no home, so I have decided to go to Nevada to the gold fields to seek my fortune. Who knows? I might strike it rich. If I do, I'll come back and we'll build a home together. You take all of Mother's belongings-- her feather bed and pillow, etc.-- and keep them as your own." For two years Rebecca waited and prayed for his return, but she didn't hear from him. She thought he must have died in the desert country. Eventually she despaired of ever hearing from him.One day Jacob Workman, a well known neighbor who had been a member of the same company of pioneers, came to the Covey home and asked for the hand of Rebecca Turner in marriage. He was 22 years older than Rebecca. His first wife, Nancy Reeder, by whom he had seven children, had died in Mt Pisgah, Iowa. There he had married Fanny Harris, widow of Mr Morrison who had also died in Mt Pisgah. Together they had crossed the plains and she had given birth to two more children.Rebecca was a little nonpleased, thinking no doubt the thoughts of any young girl who desires to be the "one and only" in the life of her prince charming. But Jacob had a trump card which he did not hesitate to use. He needed a wife to help with the responsibility of a large and growing family. While Rebecca was deliberating, he said, "If you will marry me, together we will find a way to bring your brother Henry across the plains." That was enough for Rebecca. She would do anything to help her brother. She consented and the day was set. Accordingly, on the 3rd of January 1852, Rebecca became the wife of Jacob Lindsay Workman. She received her endowments that day in the Old Endowment House and stood proxy while Jacob was sealed to his first wife. She then in turn became his wife for time and all eternity.About six months after her marriage, Rebecca's young lover came to town. The Coveys told him that she was married, so he left without making any effort to see her.For a time Rebecca lived in the small Workman home and did all she could to make the establishment run smoothly. But it was far too small for the people it had to house. On the back of the lot Jacob had built a small cabin in which his father lived.After the father died in 1855, Rebecca moved into the cabin with her small son, Abram, who had been born on October 29, 1852. Life was a bit easier now than it had been while living simply as a maid in another's home. She had more time for her baby, more time to do things she enjoyed doing to build a home, and it was a pleasant home-- one that Jacob enjoyed being in with her.Mary and Elizabeth, twin daughters, were born on December 26, 1853, but Elizabeth died on December 28 and Mary on December 30-- such brief lives. On January 13, 1855 another daughter, Hannah, was born. She lived only until July 24, 1855.Rebecca had lived in her own home less than a year when in 1856 Jacob L. Workman was called on a mission to the Lamanites. He was to travel without purse or script, and each wife would be responsible for maintaining herself and family. This was a real challenge in a country where food was at a premium as it was among the Saints that year. The time came when Rebecca found that she had nothing in her home to feed herself and son. She took a pan and went out to try to find some flour, offering to work for the commodity. It was all to no avail, until she came to the home of Elder Ezra Taft Benson. Apostle Benson was in England on a mission at the time. Sister Benson said, "I cannot sell you any flour, but I will lend you a pan full."A few months later Jacob was released from his mission. He brought three flour sacks of wheat home with him. As soon as the wheat was ground, Rebecca took a pan full of flour to Sister Benson. It was now Sister Benson's turn to feel thankful to the Lord. She said, "you came just in time. I am entirely out. I have nothing in the house to eat." Then, aside to her daughter, Sister Benson quoted, "Cast thy bread upon the waters; for thou shalt find it after many days." (Ecclesiastes 1:11) In 1857 Johnston's Army came to Utah. While Jacob was in the militia and spent most of his time in the canyons and mountains, prepared to defend the home of the Saints, he was released long enough to move his families south to Provo. The first trip he took the elder wife and family to the retreat, then the second trip moved Rebecca and her household to the comforting home of relatives in the southern city. There they pitched camp in the hospitable yard and waited for the call to return home.There were two healthy young children in Rebecca's family now; for on July 27, 1856, a daughter, Martha Jane, had been born. She was a rollicking, happy child and had cheered her mother's heart in the moments of trial. She made this trial seem a happy event and Rebecca didn't mind at all. The whole thing seemed like a wonderful outing with her children. Jacob returned as often as he could to bring fish and game to feed his family, and all went well.Son Cornelius was born soon after the return of the Saints to Salt Lake on July 27, 1858. Nancy joined the family on April 2, 1860, and another son, Isaac Nathaniel was born on February 26, 1862-- the son that bore the name of his maternal grandfather.The year 1862 was a momentous one, for in the spring conference Jacob and his family were called with others to leave their comfortable Salt Lake homes and pioneer the Dixie country. Jacob had a brother who was already settled in Hurricane, Utah, and he wrote glowing reports of the country and its climate so it was with high hopes that the family prepared to move south.They didn't go to the St George area, as did so many , but elected to settle in the mouth of Zion's Canyon in a spot known as Virgin City, named for the unpredictable river which wound its way down the valley floor.Not long after the arrival the arrival in Virgin City, it was decided that Fanny and family would remain in town, but that Rebecca and her family would go further up the river where Jacob had purchased a farm known as "Gould's Ranch." The children of the first wife were grown by this time and had elected to stay in Salt Lake.Not long after they arrived in Southern Utah, the call came from Brigham Young for all those who could do so to donate wagons and teams to return to Winter Quarters to aid more of the Saints to gather in the West. In counsel with his wives, Jacob decided to sent a wagon with the stipulation that Rebeccca's brother, Henry, should be included in those to come in this wagon. It was a glorious time for Rebecca. At last her dream of years was to be fulfilled and she would see her dear brother again. The months of waiting seemed so long! She thought about the happy day when she would clasp him to her bosom and take care of him as she had longed to do. She was doomed to disappointment, however, for when the wagons returned they brought the news that Henry had died some time before the wagons had reached the gathering place.In Virgin City eight more children were born to Rebecca:Henry T born Dec 21, 1863 died Dec 25, 1863Erastus Snow born Nov 20, 1864Ella Rebecca born March 3, 1867Lucy Marinda born June 26,1869 died April 23, 1871Adelia Mariah born July 16, 1871Nettie Percena born Jan 14, 1873George Albert born Aug 23, 1874Lorenzo born Aug 22, 1876There were happy times in Virgin as the children grew and as is in any family where love abounds, but there were difficult times too. Many times there were threats of Indian invasions and there was a constant need to be on guard. Rebecca watched her eldest son prepare to be a scout and messenger for the militia. Lovingly, she sent him out to join the militia to chase Indians back across Lee's Ferry when they had come on a marauding party.When her son, Abram, married she helped him to furnish his modest home; and after his wife died, she cared for his two children as if they had been her own.Faithfully, Rebecca tended her husband during his illness; and when he died on July 28, 1878, he found herself still with rather a large family of young children. Isaac Nathaniel was the oldest child at home (a boy of 16). All the older children had married and most of them lived in scattered communities. Her youngest child was only four years of age.For a time Rebecca and the children cared for the farm and did all they could to make ends meet. It had always been difficult to provide enough food and clothes for so large a family. Now it seemed almost impossible. Reports were being circulated that life was far more exciting to the south in Arizona. There was land to be had for the taking. There were forests and streams just waiting. Isaac Nathaniel (or Than, as he was called by this time) was in his adventurous years, and it just seemed that the grass was so very green across the fence. "Look, mother, we could leave all this behind. You've known so much trouble here. We could leave Aunt Fanny and her demands and really be on our own. Oh, mother, it would be so wonderful, if we could just go out by ourselves and really make it big." he seemed to say.At last Rebecca succumbed to the importunities of her growing sons. The farm was sold and shared with Fanny; they loaded their possessins into a wagon and moved south again. This time their journey took them to somewhere between Fort Apache and the town that is now known as Show Low, Arizona. The boys set out immediately to find the work that was to bring them such an abundant life, but found it even more difficult here than it had been in the established community of Virgin. True there were things that could be done at the Fort now and again. There was wood to cut and sold for fuel but there was not much of a market for it. They boys wanted to build a home for their mother and the children, but they were so busy trying to earn enough for food that they didn't get around to it. In letters that have recently been found, we learn that Rebecca made her home on the bank of a creek under a grove of trees. The wagon box was the only house she was to know in Arizona but she didn't complain. She wrote happy letters to her married children telling of the fish that could be caught in the stream at her doorstep, of the children and their activities. She never mentioned the times that she went hungry so that her children could eat.In 1884, two of her daughters married men they had met at the Fort who promised to provide them with a home and take them out of poverty-- and no doubt for love too. Ella Rebecca was 14½ years of age at marriage and Adelia was 12½. What heartstrings must have ached as a mother saw her young girls embark on lives of terrible responsibility at such tender ages!Rebecca grew weak and ailing. The boys took her in to Fort Apache to see a doctor stationed there. He examined her, shook his head and said, "She only needs good wholesome food and rest. There is nothing I can do for her." In the spring of 1885, a charming young girl came to the area. Than fell in love with her and asked her to marry him. He and his bride intended to live there and still take care of the mother and younghildren. But in the impetuous way of youth, wrapped around with love and the security of new adventure, yielded to his wife's desires and took her to visit her parents. The visit was extended for months-- an extension that Than was to regret the rest of his life.Things became so desperate for the pioneer mother that she finally had to consent for the children to write their eldest brother to explain their plight. As soon as Abram heard how desperate they were, he gathered a team and wagon and dispatched his younger brother, Cornelius and his wife (they had no children then) with instructions to "bring mother home."When Cornelius and his wife arrived at the wagon-box home they found Rebecca too weak to be up. When she saw her son for the first time in several years, tears streamed down her face as she said, "I knew my sons would come!"Cornelius gathered up the children and what possessions they still had left, made a bed in the wagon for his mother and prepared for the return trip. The first night out the family prepared for camp, doing everything they could to make the mother comfortable. They fed her warm soup and listened as she poured forth her love and appreciation to them, the they retired for the night feeling that "Mother seems better!" The next morning when they went to awaken her for breakfast they found her dead.Rebecca is buried on a hillside overlooking a beautiful, serene lake in the tops of the mountains near Show Low, Arizona, dressed in the temple clothing that signified her faithfulness in life. She had paid her last farthing. She had kept the faith, never wavering in her testimony of the Gospel and her thankfulness that her lot had been cast with the Latter-Day Saints. Gentle, sweet, uncomplaining, she is a blessing to all her descendants.

No comments: